A transport system that works0
I will unleash a real cycling revolution with a safe cycling network for the whole of London, not just blue paint and hire bikes in zone 1. I will push for lower public transport fares, and invest what little money the Government gives us in new buses, trains & trams where they are most needed.
My track record
- I helped stop the cycling budget of £8m being cut back in 2001 & then persuaded Ken Livingstone to increase investment in cycling & walking to £65m a year by 2008. This money delivered cycle training, parking & a network of safer cycling routes.
- I commissioned the TfL report on cycling growth which led to the creation of the Cycling Superhighways and Cycle Hire scheme long before Boris put the Barclays blue on it.
- I made TfL invest in car clubs, so that 80% of the UK’s car club members now live in London.
- I got TfL to ensure that there was a safer route to school plan for every school in London by 2009.
- Whilst I was the Mayor’s Road Safety Ambassador the number of people killed and seriously injured on London’s roads decreased by over 2,000, as I ensured that investment in 20mph zones & traffic policing increased.
Read my article on why London’s cycle revolution is a missed opportunity
“In 2008 the London Cycling Campaign gave Jenny Jones a Special Award for her Lifetime Services to cycling. This was in recognition of her success in helping to push cycling into mainstream politics, her efforts to deliver many cycling projects on the ground, and her energies as cycling champion in general.”
Ashok Sinha, Chief Executive, London Cycling Campaign